Hydrangea Expression ('Youmesix')
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: moist, well-drained, moderately fertile, humus-rich soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: July to September
- Flower colour: pink (or blue on acidic soils)
- Other features: contact with the foliage may aggravate skin allergies; the flower-heads make excellent dried flower arrangements
- Hardiness: fully hardy
One of the new breed of re-blooming hydrangeas, which will flower for far longer than many of the older types, but this is the first in its class to have double flowers. In good conditions, you should see the first flowers emerging in late spring or early summer, pink on neutral or alkaline soils and blue on acidic ones. They will then carry on appearing in big, rounded clusters, right up until the first frosts. More compact than many other mopheads, it is ideal for pots, where they can be used to provide summer-long colour to the patio, or place it in a prominent spot towards the front of a shrub border.
- Garden care:To enhance flowering prune in spring, cutting back the flowered stems to a strong pair of buds below each flower-head. Once established, remove a quarter to a third of the old shoots to the base of the plant.