Hyacinthus orientalis 'City of Haarlem'
garden hyacinth bulbs
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: any well-drained, moderately fertile soil (for container-grown bulbs use two parts John Innes No2 compost to one part sharp grit)
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: April and May
- Flower colour: yellow
- Other features: all parts of the plant may cause a mild stomach upset if ingested; contact with the bulbs may cause skin irritation
- Hardiness: fully hardy
The soft yellow colouring of this deliciously-scented, spring-flowering bulb, offers a beautiful variation on the more traditional, pink, blue or white. Very pretty when teamed up with blues, it makes a wonderful addition to the vase, where it will help fill the room with its sweet perfume.
- Garden care: Pot up and bring indoors if you want them to flower in January, otherwise plant 15cm deep and 10cm apart in a bright spot. For safety reasons always use gloves when handling these bulbs.
- Harmful if eaten/skin irritant