Heuchera 'Obsidian' (PBR)
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, moist or well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: June to July
- Flower colour: cream
- Other features: pest and disease resistant
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Striking new evergreen variety of Heuchera with glossy jet black-maroon leaves darkening as the season progresses. Cream flowers appear in June-July providing a stunning contrast to the leaves. Ideal plant for the front of the border or for a beautiful display in terracotta pots.
- Garden care: Lift and divide large clumps in early autumn and replant with the crown just above the surface of the soil. Apply a generous 5-7cm (2-3in) mulch of well-rotted organic matter around the crown of the plant in spring.
The trick to achieving the tropical effect is good preparation and dense planting, vivid foliage, fiery flowers and striking contrasts. The jungle garden is a place for theatrical planning and planting. If you don't have room or the inclination...Read full article