Heuchera 'Lime Marmalade (PBR)'
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, moist or well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: May to July
- Flower colour: greenish-white
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Luminous lime green leaves with softly ruffled edges, provide a zesty blast of colour from spring to autumn. The spires of white flowers which appear in summer are pretty too, although it is primarily grown for its foliage colour. A strong and vigorous variety, you can use it to spill over the edges of a path, or fill gaps towards the front of a border. It also looks very effective in a pot.
- Garden care: Lift and divide large clumps in early autumn and replant with the crown just above the surface of the soil. Apply a generous 5-7cm (2-3in) mulch of well-rotted organic matter around the crown of the plant in spring.
The trick to achieving the tropical effect is good preparation and dense planting, vivid foliage, fiery flowers and striking contrasts. The jungle garden is a place for theatrical planning and planting. If you don't have room or the inclination...Read full article