Helleborus × hybridus 'Red Lady' (Lady Series)
- Position: partial shade
- Soil: fertile, neutral to alkaline soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: February to April
- Flower colour: shades of red
- Other features: all parts of the plant cause severe discomfort if ingested; the sap may cause skin irritation
- Hardiness: fully hardy
In late winter, upright stems bearing up to five, single red flowers, appear above the evergreen foliage, creating interest in the garden at a time when most plants are completely dormant. The coarsely toothed, lustrous foliage will slowly spread to form open clumps, making it ideal groundcover in woodland gardens or naturalised planting schemes. They will tolerate some direct sun as long as the soil is reliably moist.
- Garden care: Add lots of well-rotted leaf mould or organic matter to the planting hole. Apply a generous 5-7cm (2-3in) mulch of well-rotted organic matter around the base of the plant in autumn and provide a top-dressing of general fertiliser each spring.
- Harmful if eaten/skin irritant
There are currently no 'goes well with' suggestions for this item.