Helleborus × hybridus 'Pretty Ellen White'
- Position: partial shade
- Soil: heavy, neutral to alkaline soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: February to April
- Flower colour: white
- Other features: all parts of the plant cause severe discomfort if ingested; the sap may cause skin irritation
- Hardiness: fully hardy
White flowers, which sometimes have a faint pink or green flush, are useful for illuminating areas of partial shade beneath deciduous trees or shrubs early in the year. This adaptable perennial can be used to carpet a woodland floor, fill gaps at the front of the border, or add a bit of pizzazz to a potted seasonal display.
- Garden care: Add lots of well-rotted leaf mould or organic matter to the planting hole. Apply a generous 5-7cm (2-3in) mulch of well-rotted organic matter around the base of the plant in autumn and provide a top-dressing of general fertiliser each spring.
- Harmful if eaten/skin irritant