Helleborus × hybridus 'Pretty Ellen Red'
- Position: partial shade
- Soil: heavy, neutral to alkaline soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: February to April
- Flower colour: Red
- Other features: all parts of the plant cause severe discomfort if ingested; the sap may cause skin irritation
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Add delicious dollops of colour to the planting scheme in late winter and early summer with this beautiful hellebore. The flowers are a rich shade of burgundy-red, which looks sublime against the backdrop of the lush foliage. Under-plant it with crocus for a dazzling display.
- Garden care: Add lots of well-rotted leaf mould or organic matter to the planting hole. Apply a generous 5-7cm (2-3in) mulch of well-rotted organic matter around the base of the plant in autumn and provide a top-dressing of general fertiliser each spring.
- Harmful if eaten/skin irritant