Helleborus × hybridus 'Double Ellen Purple'
hellebore Double Ellen Purple
- Position: partial shade
- Soil: heavy, neutral to alkaline soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: February to April
- Flower colour: dark purple
- Other features: all parts of the plant cause severe discomfort if ingested; the sap may cause skin irritation
- Hardiness: fully hardy
A new introduction with deepest purple petals (the outermost often with a smattering of lighter speckles), surround the spider-like creamy yellow centre. Their brooding colouring adds depth to the planting scheme when mixed with softer shades of pink and lilac.
- Garden care: Add lots of well-rotted leaf mould or organic matter to the planting hole. Apply a generous 5-7cm (2-3in) mulch of well-rotted organic matter around the base of the plant in autumn and provide a top-dressing of general fertiliser each spring.
- Harmful if eaten/skin irritant