Helleborus × hybridus 'Metallic Lady'
- Position: partial shade
- Soil: heavy, neutral to alkaline soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: February to April
- Other features: all parts of the plant cause severe discomfort if ingested; the sap may cause skin irritation
- Hardiness: fully hardy (borderline)
Dark purple-blue petals with a soft metallic sheen are accentuated by the boss of golden stamens that they surround. Long after these beautiful, brooding flowers have faded, the deeply lobed, dark green leaves will continue to provide structural interest.
- Garden care: Add lots of well-rotted leaf mould or organic matter to the planting hole. Apply a generous 5-7cm (2-3in) mulch of well-rotted organic matter around the base of the plant in autumn and provide a top-dressing of general fertiliser each spring. Any remaining leaves from the previous years growth can be cut back to ground level in late winter to give the flowers maximum impact.
- Harmful if eaten/skin irritant
There are currently no 'goes well with' suggestions for this item.