Hamamelis × intermedia 'Arnold Promise'
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, moist but well-drained, acidic to neutral soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: January to February
- Flower colour: yellow
- Other features: will also tolerate deep, humus-rich soil over chalk
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Spidery, yellow flowers cover the bare branches on this strong-growing witch hazel. The large blooms are extremely frost-resistant and highly fragrant, and appear from mid- to late winter. In autumn, the bright green leaves turn vibrant shades of orange and yellow. This is a lovely shrub for the woodland garden or as a specimen in the shrub border.
- Garden care:Minimal pruning is required. Remove misplaced, dead or diseased branches in late spring and apply a generous 5-7cm (2-3in) mulch of well-rotted garden compost or manure around the base of the plant.
A sanctuary of peace and tranquillity with an overwhelming sense of calm, a woodland garden is an ideal place to get away from it all with natural shade and privacy. Based on...Read full article
Use the following notes as a guide when pruning trees, shrubs and climbers in your garden during the month of March. I’ve included timely advice on Abeliophyllum, Artemesia, Brachyglottis, Brunfelsia, Buddleja, Ceanothus, Clematis, Colutea, Cotinus, Daphne, Eccremocarpus, Elsholtzia, ...Read full article