Gladiolus 'Purple Mate'
- Position: full sun
- Soil: moist, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: July to September
- Flower colour: purple
- Other features: excellent cut-flowers
- Hardiness: half hardy (will need winter protection)
Intense purple flowers appear on the upright flower spikes from late summer. These can be used to add structural interest and colour to the border, or cut to create spectacular arrangements in a vase.
- Garden care: Plant corms 10-15cm (4-6in) deep and 25cm apart on a bed of sharp sand to aid drainage. In frost-prone areas, lift them when the leaves turn yellow-brown, dip the corms in fungicide and store in a dry, frost-free place over winter
- CAUTION do not eat ornamental bulbs
Reviewed by 1 customer
Bulbs are ideal for anyone who rates themselves as 'keen-but-clueless' because they are one of the easiest plants to grow. Provided you plant them at the right time of year at more or less the right depth, they will reward you year after year with a relRead full article
If rabbits, deer, squirrels or cats devour or scratch up your plants these wire mesh protectors will give them time to get established. The pyramid-shaped 'Rabbit Proof Cloche' and dome-shaped 'Squirrel Proof Cloche'Read full article