- Position: full sun
- Soil: moist, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: June and July
- Other features: excellent cut-flowers
- Hardiness: half hardy (will need some winter protection)
Several of the white petals that make up each flower have a distinctive cerise mark, which creates a pretty bi-coloured effect. Softer than the more formal gladioli, this pretty perennial looks very effective when threaded through a perennial border.
- Garden care: Plant corms 10cm deep and 10 - 15cm apart, on a bed of sharp sand to aid drainage. In frost-prone areas, lift them when the leaves turn yellow-brown, dip the corms in fungicide and store in a dry, frost-free place over winter.
There are currently no 'goes well with' suggestions for this item.
Bulbs are ideal for anyone who rates themselves as 'keen-but-clueless' because they are one of the easiest plants to grow. Provided you plant them at the right time of year at more or less the right depth, they will reward you year after year with a relRead full article
If rabbits, deer, squirrels or cats devour or scratch up your plants these wire mesh protectors will give them time to get established. The pyramid-shaped 'Rabbit Proof Cloche' and dome-shaped 'Squirrel Proof Cloche'Read full article