pineapple lily bulbs
- Bulb orders £2.99
- Click & collect FREE
Like an orchid on steroids with pineapple-topped cream-green flowers finely rimed in and flecked in claret-red and framed by hosta-like, vivid-green foliage - this coconut-scented exotic is proving hardier than first thought - it lasts in water too
- Position: full sun
- Soil: fertile, well-drained soil (or loam-based potting compost with sharp sand or grit for container-grown specimens)
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: July and August
- Hardiness: borderline hardy (may need winter protection)
A spectacular plant, with spikes of purple-edged, pale green star-shaped flowers on purple-spotted stems in July and August, topped with a pineapple-like tuft above a rosette of wide, fleshy leaves. This distinctive, summer-flowering bulb looks stunning planted in clumps in a large, well-drained container or in a sunny, exotic-style garden. Since it's not fully hardy in frost-prone areas, it's best over-wintered indoors in a cool greenhouse.
- Garden care: Plant bulbs 12cm deep as soon as possible, allowing 20cm between each. In colder areas, provide some protection until the worst of the frosts have passed. Water freely during the growing season and sparingly during winter. Protect the crown of the plant with a dry winter mulch or over-winter indoors under glass. Top-dress or re-pot container-grown specimens each spring.
- CAUTION do not eat ornamental bulbs
The trick to achieving the tropical effect is good preparation and dense planting, vivid foliage, fiery flowers and striking contrasts. The jungle garden is a place for theatrical planning and planting. If you don't have room or the inclination to turn yRead full article