Eschscholzia californica 'Thai Silk Strawberry Fields' (Thai Silk Series)
- Position: full sun
- Soil: poor, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: June to August
- Flower colour: orange and yellow
- Other features: ideal for the novice or young gardener; excellent cut-flowers
- Hardiness: hardy annual
Masses of bright and cheerful, yellow-centred orange flowers help create a riot of summer colour in the garden. They have a compact habit, so are perfect for filling gaps at the front of the border or for filling pots and window boxes. These easy to grow annuals are best planted in poor, well-drained soil in full sun. They make excellent if short-lived cut-flowers.
- Garden care: Prepare the bed well and sow shallowly into drills from March to May where they are to flower. When large enough to handle thin out the seedlings to 10 - 15cm apart, taking care not to damage the tap root. Water when necessary, but avoid excessively wet conditions.
- Sow: March-May or August-September
- Flowering: June-August
- Approximate quantity: 200 seeds
Hardy annuals such as candytuft, California poppy and cornflowers sown direct last month into a prepared seedbed [link to making a seedbed] will need thinning to the correct spacing. Thin the flower seedlings when they are large enough to separate so theRead full article