Erysimum 'Bowles's Mauve'
- Standard £4.99
- Click & collect FREE
This sun-loving trouper deserves a long service medal - the mauve flower spikes comes out with the tulips (or earlier) and are still going strong in September
- Position: full sun
- Soil: poor to moderately-fertile, well-drained, neutral to alkaline soil
- Rate of growth: average to fast-growing
- Flowering period: February to July
- Hardiness: borderline hardy (may need winter protection)
This long-flowering, bushy, vigorous wallflower produces long spires of deep mauve flowers from late winter to summer above narrow, grey-green leaves. It is a short-lived plant, but makes a vivid display for months in a sunny border. Try it as part of a colour-themed scheme, or contrast it with vivid yellows. It also looks good in a rock garden or raised bed.
- Garden care: Provide cloche protection where frosts are very severe or prolonged.
Wildlife-friendly gardens are not only more interesting as you can watch all the comings and goings, but they are often more productive as many creatures will help increase pollination. Garden ponds act as a magnet to dragonflies and damsel flies, along wRead full article
One of the first things you learn when you start gardening is that plants are not alone in the garden. There is a whole host of bugs that set up home in your beds and borders as well as an alarming range of microscopic bacteria, fungi and viruses that areRead full article