- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, well-drained
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: June to August
- Flower colour: tiny yellow flowers
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Originating from light woodland floors throughout North America, this suckering deciduous shrub is ideally suited to dry, shady positions, where it will flourish once it has had a chance to settle in. Pretty as well as tough, the green leaves emerge each spring with a bronze flush, which gradually fades as they mature. Then, throughout summer, the leafy stems are then topped with small clusters of sulphur-yellow, spider-like flowers. An unusual addition to the shrub border, it will flourish in full sun or lightly dappled shade.
- Garden care: Cut back to a low, permanent framework each spring as the buds are beginning to swell, and apply a generous layer of mulch around the base of the plant.