Diervilla Cool Splash ('Lpdc Podaras') (PBR)
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, well-drained
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: May to June
- Flower colour: tiny yellow flowers
- Other features: beautiful foliage colour
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Recently developed in the USA, this fascinating introduction is the first variegated form. Its white-edged, green foliage holds its colour well and is perfect for illuminating partially shaded spots, where it will tolerate some drought once it has had a chance to become established. A close relative of Weigela, it forms a densely branched, rounded, deciduous shrub and produces tiny yellow flowers in late spring and early summer.
- Garden care: Cut back to a low, permanent framework each spring as the buds are beginning to swell, and apply a generous layer of mulch around the base of the plant.
Reviewed by 1 customer
Displaying review 1
Comments about Crocus DiervillaCool Splash('Lpdc Podaras'):
I bought this just over a year ago to go in a bed which gets no sun in the winter and can remain frozen for days and 6 hours of sun a day in the summer.
On arrival it was varigated like the picture, with just a bit of reversion on one branch which I pruned out. This year there is no varigation at all.
It's nice and compact and survived the winter OK which gets it some points, but given that it was purchased for the varigation it's a bit of a disappointment. It gets one more year and then it will be replaced.
- Your Gardening Experience:
The garden is at its most dormant right now, so it’s a good time to catch up on any pruning missed or forgotten since the autumn. If the weather isn’t favourable, you can leave it for a week or two, but make sure all winter pruning is completed before theRead full article