Diervilla Cool Splash ('Lpdc Podaras') (PBR)
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, well-drained
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: May to June
- Flower colour: tiny yellow flowers
- Other features: beautiful foliage colour
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Recently developed in the USA, this fascinating introduction is the first variegated form. Its white-edged, green foliage holds its colour well and is perfect for illuminating partially shaded spots, where it will tolerate some drought once it has had a chance to become established. A close relative of Weigela, it forms a densely branched, rounded, deciduous shrub and produces tiny yellow flowers in late spring and early summer.
- Garden care: Cut back to a low, permanent framework each spring as the buds are beginning to swell, and apply a generous layer of mulch around the base of the plant.
The garden is at its most dormant right now, so it’s a good time to catch up on any pruning missed or forgotten since the autumn. If the weather isn’t favourable, you can leave it for a week or two, but make sure all winter pruning is completed before theRead full article
Many of the earlier-flowering summer shrubs make good partners for shrub roses. They tend to be in the same colour range: sometimes flowering just before and sometimes with the main flush, but often fragrantly. Abelia, Deutzias and Kolkwitzias fall into tRead full article