Deschampsia cespitosa 'Pixie Fountain'
tufted hair grass
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: reliably moist, neutral to acid soil
- Rate of growth: average to fast-growing
- Flowering period: June to August
- Flower colour: silvery but turning to biscuit shades
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Forming dense evergreen clumps of slender foliage, this low-growing grass produces sprays of flowerspikes, which emerge above the foliage in early summer. They emerge with a delightful silvery sheen before maturing to gold. A wonderful partner to summer flowering perennials, its whispy habit, which catches the breeze easily, helps create movement in the border.
- Garden care: Remove the faded flower-heads in late winter before new growth appears. In warm areas the plant has a tendency to self-seed freely. Where this is the case remove unwanted seedlings as part of routine border maintenance.