Deschampsia cespitosa 'Goldtau'
tufted hair grass (syn. Golden Dew)
The finest textured seed head of all: this feathery grass wears a golden tawny shimmer by July and it’s the front of border grass for midsummer
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: dry to moist, neutral to acid soil
- Rate of growth: average to fast-growing
- Flowering period: June to August
- Hardiness: fully hardy
A mound-forming, evergreen grass that’s particularly versatile, as it thrives in both sun and light shade and the flowers persist well into autumn. Silvery, reddish-brown flower spikes appear from early to late summer above dense mounds of slender, arching, mid-green leaves. The feathery inflorescences of this elegant, ornamental grass mature to a soft golden yellow and shimmer like a golden cloud as it catches the light. Compact and easy-to-grow, it looks gorgeous spot-planted among perennials, in groups towards the front of a border, or in a rock garden
- Garden care: Remove the faded flowerheads in late winter before new growth appears. In warm areas the plant has a tendency to self-seed freely. Where this is the case remove unwanted seedlings as part of routine border maintenance.