Deschampsia cespitosa 'Goldschleier'
tufted hair grass
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: dry to moist, neutral to acid soil
- Rate of growth: average to fast-growing
- Flowering period: June to August
- Flower colour: bright silvery yellow
- Hardiness: fully hardy
A beautiful tuft-forming, evergreen grass that will help add structure and movement to the border. In summer the dark green leaves are topped with airy flower spikelets that turn a bright silvery yellow as they age. This airy grass looks lovely in a mixed border where it will waft hazily in the breeze. Relatively compact and easy-to-grow, it will flourish in neutral to acidic soil.
- Garden care: Remove the faded flower-heads in late winter before new growth appears. If the foliage has also started to look tatty at that time of the year, then this too can be cut back hard. In warm areas the plant has a tendency to self-seed freely. Where this is the case remove unwanted seedlings as part of routine border maintenance.
There are currently no articles for this item.