Daphne tangutica Retusa Group
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: moderately fertile, well-drained, humus-rich soil,
- Rate of growth: slow-growing
- Flowering period: May to June
- Flower colour: white flowers with a purple-red flush outside
- Other features: all parts of the plant including the seed are highly toxic if ingested; contact with the sap may cause skin irritation
- Hardiness: fully hardy
A compact, evergreen shrub that forms mounds of leathery, dark green foliage, and in late spring and early summer, clusters of white flowers that have a reddish purple flush on the outside. These form at the tips of the branches, have a delicious scent and are followed by rounded red fruits. It is a wonderful plant to include in a mixed border or woodland garden, ideally close to a path or entrance so you can enjoy the scent of the flowers every time you pass.
- Garden care: Keep pruning to a minimum, but if necessary you can lightly trim it back immediately after flowering. Apply a generous mulch in spring, which will help keep the roots cool.
- CAUTION toxic if eaten/skin irritant
There are currently no articles for this item.