Dahlia 'Summer Night'
dahlia (syn. Nuit D'ete)
- Position: full sun
- Soil: fertile, humus-rich soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: July to October
- Flower colour: dark maroon
- Other features: excellent cut-flowers
- Hardiness: half hardy
A fashionably dark maroon cactus dahlia that is great for the 'bruised' themed borders. The fully double flowers have long, narrow, pointed petals that recurve for more half their length. This dahlia looks great planted in bold groups in a sunny, sheltered border. The flowers are produced from July until the first frosts, when the tubers should be lifted for over-wintering in a frost-free place.
- Garden care: Provide a high-nitrogen liquid feed each week in June, then a high-potash fertiliser each week from July to September. Once the first frosts have blackened the foliage, carefully lift and clean the tubers and allow them to dry naturally indoors. Place the dry tubers in a shallow tray, just covered with slightly moist potting compost, sand or vermiculite. Store in a frost-free place, checking frequently over the winter months.