Dahlia 'Nuit d'Eté'
semi-cactus dahlia (syn. Summer Night )
- Standard £4.99
- Click & collect FREE
- Position: full sun
- Soil: fertile, humus-rich soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: July to October
- Flower colour: dark maroon
- Other features: excellent cut-flowers
- Hardiness: half hardy
A fashionably dark maroon cactus dahlia that is great for the 'bruised' themed borders. The fully double flowers have long, narrow, pointed petals that recurve for more half their length. This dahlia looks great planted in bold groups in a sunny, sheltered border. The flowers are produced from July until the first frosts, when the tubers should be lifted for over-wintering in a frost-free place.
- Garden care: Provide a high-nitrogen liquid feed each week in June, then a high-potash fertiliser each week from July to September. Once the first frosts have blackened the foliage, carefully lift and clean the tubers and allow them to dry naturally indoors. Place the dry tubers in a shallow tray, just covered with slightly moist potting compost, sand or vermiculite. Store in a frost-free place, checking frequently over the winter months.
The traditional cottage garden was an intensive, yet carefree mixture of fruit, vegetables, herbs and flowers all crowded into a tiny space. Today, this informal charm can be recreated using modern varieties that largely take care of themselves around anRead full article
At some stage in June, your garden will be a glorious affair full of scent and soft flower. Placing a posy from the garden, close to a family hub like the kitchen table, unites your home and garden as effectively as having a huge picture window. You don’tRead full article