hardy lady's slipper orchid
- Position: partial shade (ideally with morning sun)
- Soil: relatively poor, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: May and June
- Flower colour: white with a pink lip
- Hardiness: borderline hardy (may need winter protection)
Incredible greenish-brown flowers with twisted tepals and a yellow pouch, form in late spring and early summer on the upright, leafy stems. An exotic-looking beauty, this hardy orchid dies back to its underground rhizome each year, and therefore can withstand temperatures as low as -20°C.
- Garden care: Protect the newly emerging shoots from frost - particularly in its first year and keep well watered (but not waterlogged) until established. After the leaves have died the old foliage can be cut back to 5 cm above the earth - taking care not to damage any new shoots.
There are currently no articles for this item.