Crocus 'Prins Claus'
species crocus bulbs
- Position: full sun
- Soil: gritty, poor to moderately fertile, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: February and March
- Flower colour: purple, with a broad white edge
- Other features: slender, strap-shaped, mid-green leaves
- Hardiness: fully hardy
- Bulb Size: 5/7
Named after His Royal Highness Prince Claus of the Netherlands, this is a beautiful crocus with two-tone colouring. The petals looks as though they have been dip-dyed as the insides and outer edges are white, while there is a prominent, deep bluish-purple flush to the outside. On a sunny day when the flowers are fully open, they almost look pure white from above, although occasionally they have a hint of pale blue. It is when they are in bud or when the weather is cloudier, that the colouring to the outer petals becomes more noticeable.
- Garden care:Plant bulbs in naturalistic drifts 10cm (4in) deep in September or October.
Spring bulbs, such as daffodils and hyacinths, can be planted whenever the soil conditions allow. As a rough guide, cover them with about twice as much soil as the bulb is deep: so that a 5cm (2in) deep bulb would need a 15cm...Read full article