species crocus bulbs
- Position: full sun
- Soil: gritty, poor to moderately fertile, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: February and March
- Flower colour: white with purple-splashed outer petals
- Other features: slender, strap-shaped, mid-green leaves
- Hardiness: fully hardy
- Bulb size: 5/7
Fragrant, white, goblet-shaped flowers with purple-splashed outer petals appear in February and March above the slender, strap-shaped leaves. This beautiful, bi-coloured crocus is perfect for naturalising in sunny, well-drained areas of a shrub border or lawn. For maximum impact plant in bold, naturalistic drifts in gritty, well-drained soil, where they will get plenty of sun.
- Garden care: Plant bulbs in naturalistic drifts 10cm (4in) deep in September or October.
Spring bulbs, such as daffodils and hyacinths, can be planted whenever the soil conditions allow. As a rough guide, cover them with about twice as much soil as the bulb is deep: so that a 5cm (2in) deep bulb would need a 15cm (6in) deep hole so that itRead full article
Bulbs are ideal for anyone who rates themselves as 'keen-but-clueless' because they are one of the easiest plants to grow. Provided you plant them at the right time of year at more or less the right depth, they will reward you year after year with a relRead full article