Crocus 'Gipsy Girl'
species crocus bulbs
- Position: full sun
- Soil: gritty, poor to moderately fertile, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: February and March
- Flower colour: yellow with purple-striped outer petals
- Other features: slender, strap-shaped, mid-green leaves
- Hardiness: fully hardy
- Bulb Size: 5/7
Large, fragrant, yellow flowers with purple-striped outer petals in February and March and slender, strap-shaped, dull green leaves. These spectacular, striped, spring-flowering bulbs look great emerging from a sunny rock garden or raised bed. To achieve the best results plant in early autumn in bold, naturalistic drifts 10cm (4in) deep in gritty, well-drained soil.
- Garden care:Plant bulbs in naturalistic drifts 10cm (4in) deep in September or October.
Spring bulbs, such as daffodils and hyacinths, can be planted whenever the soil conditions allow. As a rough guide, cover them with about twice as much soil as the bulb is deep: so that a 5cm (2in) deep bulb would need a 15cm (6in) deep hole so that itRead full article
Bulbs are ideal for anyone who rates themselves as 'keen-but-clueless' because they are one of the easiest plants to grow. Provided you plant them at the right time of year at more or less the right depth, they will reward you year after year with a relRead full article