Crocus etruscus 'Zwanenburg'
species crocus bulbs
- Position: full sun
- Soil: gritty, poor to moderately fertile, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: February and March
- Flower colour: lilac-blue
- Other features: slender, strap-shaped, mid-green leaves
- Hardiness: fully hardy
- Bulb Size: 5/7
An easy to grow crocus that divides and self-seeds freely, so within a couple of years you should have a good-sized clump. The colour is a wonderful shade of lilac-blue, slightly darker on the outside and outer edges of the petals, becoming paler on the inside towards the centre. Providing a valuable source of nectar for early polinating insects, they also look incredibly pretty.
- Garden care: Plant bulbs in naturalistic drifts 10cm (4in) deep in September or October.
Spring bulbs, such as daffodils and hyacinths, can be planted whenever the soil conditions allow. As a rough guide, cover them with about twice as much soil as the bulb is deep: so that a 5cm (2in) deep bulb would need a 15cm...Read full article