Crocus chrysanthus 'Zwanenburg Bronze'
species crocus bulbs
- Position: full sun
- Soil: gritty, poor to moderately fertile, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: February and March
- Flower colour: yellow
- Other features: slender, strap-shaped, mid-green leaves
- Hardiness: fully hardy
- Bulb size: 5+Fragrant, yellow, goblet-shaped flowers with bronze markings on the outer petals in February and March and slender, strap-shaped, dull green leaves. These handsome, early spring-flowering crocuses are ideal for a sunny, rock garden or raised bed. They soon increase to form large clumps, that can be divided in early autumn for use in other sunny, well-drained areas of the garden.
- Garden care:Plant bulbs in naturalistic drifts 10cm (4in) deep in September or October.
Spring bulbs, such as daffodils and hyacinths, can be planted whenever the soil conditions allow. As a rough guide, cover them with about twice as much soil as the bulb is deep: so that a 5cm (2in) deep bulb would need a 15cm (6in) deep hole so that itRead full article
Bulbs are ideal for anyone who rates themselves as 'keen-but-clueless' because they are one of the easiest plants to grow. Provided you plant them at the right time of year at more or less the right depth, they will reward you year after year with a relRead full article
If rabbits, deer, squirrels or cats devour or scratch up your plants these wire mesh protectors will give them time to get established. The pyramid-shaped 'Rabbit Proof Cloche' and dome-shaped 'Squirrel Proof Cloche'Read full article
One of the great things about gardening is being able to look into the future with enthusiasm, and part of that is planting now for next spring. A gardener knows, when handling papery brown bulbs, that these insignificant little things will produce earlyRead full article