Crocus chrysanthus 'Cream Beauty'
species crocus bulbs
- Position: full sun
- Soil: gritty, poor to moderately fertile, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average to fast-growing
- Flowering period: February and March
- Flower colour: rich-cream with a yellow throat
- Other features: slender, strap-shaped, mid-green leaves
- Hardiness: fully hardy
- Bulb size: 5/7
Rich-cream goblets with brown flushes and deep golden-yellow throats, emerge in February and March amid slender, strap-shaped, mid green leaves. These spring-flowering crocuses are perfect for naturalising in sunny, well-drained areas of the lawn. Relatively vigorous, they soon form large colonies, which can be divided in early autumn for use in other parts of the garden.
- Garden care:Plant bulbs in tight clusters to form naturalistic drifts 10cm deep where they can be left undisturbed for several years. Keep a look out for mice or squirrel damage This can sometimes be avoided by laying a piece of chicken wire over the bulbs before you cover them with soil. If you are growing these in grass, avoid mowing it until the leaves have completely died back.
Do you want to ask a question about this?If so, click on the button and fill in the box below. We will post the question on the website, together with your alias (bunnykins, digger1, plantdotty etc etc) and where you are from (Sunningdale/Glasgow etc). We'll also post the answer to your question!
Q:Bulb planting instructions please
Thank you, I have just received my first order from Crocus,- some Crocus bulbs, cream ones which I have been searching for everywhere. I am however rather surprised that there are absolutely no details enclosed with regard to planting i.e. how deep. I love gardening but do not have great knowledge and I do need to be reminded of these details. Please can you let me know what I should do with my bulbs. ClayreAsked on 9/29/2009 by Clayre Shield
A:Hello Clayre, I'm sorry to hear that you were so disappointed with the lack of instructions with the bulbs. We try to keep paperwork to a minimum, so we do aim to put loads of information on our site. We do have planting instructions for all our plants here, so just click on the following link to go straight to the Crocus Cream Beauty. http://www.crocus.co.uk/plants/_/bulbs/crocus/crocus-chrysanthus-cream-beauty/classid.1000000352/ I hope this helps, and welcome to crocus. Helen Plant DoctorAnswered on 9/29/2009 by Crocus Helpdesk
Spring bulbs, such as daffodils and hyacinths, can be planted whenever the soil conditions allow. As a rough guide, cover them with about twice as much soil as the bulb is deep: so that a 5cm (2in) deep bulb would need a 15cm (6in) deep hole so that itRead full article
Bulbs are ideal for anyone who rates themselves as 'keen-but-clueless' because they are one of the easiest plants to grow. Provided you plant them at the right time of year at more or less the right depth, they will reward you year after year with a relRead full article