Crocus × luteus 'Golden Yellow'
- Position: full sun
- Soil: gritty, poor to moderately fertile, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: February and March
- Flower colour: golden yellow
- Other features: slender, strap-shaped, mid-green leaves
- Hardiness: fully hardy
- Garden care: Plant bulbs in naturalistic drifts 10cm (4in) deep in September or October.
As the name suggests, the colour of these flowers is a rich golden yellow. This is a strong- grower that is ideal for naturalising through lawns and meadows. Each bulb may produce up to 5 flowers, so you will usually get a very generous show too.
Spring bulbs, such as daffodils and hyacinths, can be planted whenever the soil conditions allow. As a rough guide, cover them with about twice as much soil as the bulb is deep: so that a 5cm (2in) deep bulb would need a 15cm...Read full article