Cosmos bipinnatus 'Dazzler'
- Standard £4.99
- Next / named day £6.99
- Click & collect FREE
- Position: full sun
- Soil: moderately fertile, moist, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: June to October
- Hardiness: half hardy annual
Carmine red blooms top the upright stems, clothed with finely divided foliage, of this glorious annual. Flowering from early summer (if sown early) to mid autumn - and sometimes beyond, these easy to grow plants will provide lashing of colour in the garden. The flowers last well after being cut too, and look spectacular with oranges, yellows, lime green and rich purple.
- Garden care:In early spring, sow shallowly in seed trays and keep under glass, transplanting them into individual pots when large enough to handle. Harden off before planting outside after the frosts. Alternatively, sow in-situ in mid to late spring in a well-prepared bed and thin the seedlings out as they grow to allow approximately 30cm between each. As the seedlings grow, pinch out the tips to encourage bushier plants. Taller plants may need supporting with brushwood stems in exposed positions.
- Sow: March-May
- Flowering: June-October
- Approximate quantity: 150 seeds.
Fast-maturing annuals, such as calendula, candytuft, clarkia, cosmos, godetia and nasturtium, can still be sown now for a succession of colour throughout the summer months. If you live in a mild area, make three or four sowings spaced two weeks apart fromRead full article
Deadheading will prevent them setting seed and so use their energy producing a further flush of blooms later on. Plants that respond well to deadheading include annuals such as Ageratum, Alyssum, Antirrhinum, Calendula, Centaurea, Cosmos, Dahlia, foxgloveRead full article
Fast-maturing annuals, such as calendula, candytuft, clarkia, cosmos, godetia and nasturtium, can still be sown now for colour in late summer if you live in a mild area.Read full article
At some stage in June, your garden will be a glorious affair full of scent and soft flower. Placing a posy from the garden, close to a family hub like the kitchen table, unites your home and garden as effectively as having a huge picture window. You don’tRead full article
There is still plenty of time to raise hardier annuals from seeds sown now and these include cosmos, zinnias and marigolds. However it's often easier to opt for ready-grown plugs of these, as well as the more-tender begonias petunias, antirrhinums and niRead full article
As frost descends and the leaves gather on the lawn, the most important colour is red because it glows against the backdrop of fading stems in muddy shades of khaki, grey and brown. Red’s the colour that fixes the rest of the palette and luckily red berriRead full article