- Position: full sun to part shade
- Soil: any moderately fertile soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: February
- Hardiness: fully hardy
A fast-growing, deciduous shrub or multi-stemmed tree that has many charming features. This makes it a valuable addition to the garden, where it will add interest throughout the year. In late winter, loose clusters of yellow flowers create a haze of colour on the bare stems and these are followed by bright red, edible fruits. The dark green foliage emerges in spring after the flowers and will turn brilliant shades of red and purple in the autumn. After the last leaf has fallen, the flaking bark on the stems creates further, but perhaps more understated appeal.
- Garden care: In early spring remove any misplaced or crossing branches and apply a generous 5-7cm (2-3in) mulch of well-rotted garden compost or horse manure around the base of the plant.