Cordyline 'Red Star'
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average to fast
- Flowering period: July to August
- Hardiness: half hardy (will need winter protection in colder areas)
This popular, palm-like tree has arching, sword-like, deep red leaves, retained throughout the year. Mature trees produce dramatic white flower spikes that smell exquisite. It's an ideal focal point for a sunny, protected border, patio or for the exotic garden. In frost-prone areas it's best grown inside a warm greenhouse or conservatory. In time, container-grown specimens will need to be replanted in the garden.
- Garden care: In spring when new growth appears and all danger of hard frosts has passed, cut back frost-damaged branches to just above the newly formed shoots.
The trick to achieving the tropical effect is good preparation and dense planting, vivid foliage, fiery flowers and striking contrasts. The jungle garden is a place for theatrical planning and planting. If you don't have room or the inclination to turn yRead full article