Cordyline australis 'Cherry Sensation'
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: slow to average
- Flowering period: July to August
- Flower colour: white (on mature plants)
- Other features: mature trees produce white or blue-tinted berries
- Hardiness: half hardy (will need winter protection in colder areas)
- Garden care: In spring when new growth appears and all danger of hard frosts has passed cut back frost-damaged branches to just above the newly formed shoots.
Strap-shaped cherry pink leaves, each striped with a dark bronze-pink, radiate from the stem, creating an exotic-looking display, which is perfect for jungle-style borders or creating a feature in a large pot. A dazling new form, it will produce clusters of creamy-white summer flowers, followed by white or blue tinted berries when it matures.
The trick to achieving the tropical effect is good preparation and dense planting, vivid foliage, fiery flowers and striking contrasts. The jungle garden is a place for theatrical planning and planting. If you don't have room or the inclination...Read full article