Coprosma Pacific Sunset ('Jwncopps')
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: neutral to slightly-acid, moderately-fertile, moist, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Other features: inconspicious tubular summer flowers
- Hardiness: borderline hardy (may need winter protection)
A brand new introduction that was discovered by John Woods nursery in Suffolk, this is a truly outstanding plant with vibrantly coloured foliage. The leaf colour is at its most intense in spring and late autumn, but is still a head-turner at other times of the year. It forms neat, compact shrubs that are perfect for adding contrast to mixed borders, or try planting it up into a pot to add a blast of evergreen colour to your patio.
- Garden care: In spring, llightly trim any branches that spoil the symmetry of the plant. Afterwards apply a generous 5-7cm (2-3in) mulch of well-rotted leaf mould or composted pine needles around the base of the plant.