alpine clematis (group 1)
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, well-drained soil, neutral soil
- Rate of growth: average to fast
- Flowering period: April to May
- Flower colour: pale pink
- Other features: fluffy seed-heads
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Small, delicate, bell-shaped flowers that are pale pink darkening to towards the base, with deeper pink undersides and cream anthers. This is early-flowering clematis with flowers appearing from April to May followed by fluffy seed-heads. A great clematis for a north- or east-facing wall or trellis. Given suitable support it may be grown on its own or allowed to scramble through a strong shrub or tree.
- Garden care: No routine pruning is necessary. If the spread of the plant needs to be restricted prune immediately after flowering, cutting back overlong shoots to healthy buds. Apply a slow-release balanced fertiliser and a mulch of well-rotted garden compost around the base of the plant in early spring.