Chionodoxa luciliae Boiss.
glory of the snow bulbs
- Position: full sun
- Soil: any well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: March and April
- Flower colour: gentian-blue
- Other features: slender, strap-shaped, mid-green leaves
- Hardiness: fully hardy
- Bulb size: 4/5
Sprays of tiny, star-shaped gentian-blue flowers in February and March and slender, strap-shaped, mid-green leaves. These versatile and easy-to-grow bulbs are ideal for a sunny, well-drained rock garden or for naturalising under deciduous shrubs and trees. Plant in bold drifts 8cm (3in) deep in September for a spectacular early spring display.
- Garden care: Plant bulbs in bold drifts 8cm (3in) deep in September in naturalistic drifts.
Bulbs are ideal for anyone who rates themselves as 'keen-but-clueless' because they are one of the easiest plants to grow. Provided you plant them at the right time of year at more or less the right depth, they will reward you year after year with a relRead full article