chestnut 'Marron de Lyon'
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: deep, loamy, well-drained soil with a slightly acidic pH
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: April and May
- Hardiness: fully hardy
If you like the idea of roasting chestnuts, then this handsome tree will provide you will bucket-fulls when it has had a chance to become established (usually after 5 or more years). It is a mid-season variety, which will produce high quality nuts, that store well after being harvested. It is partially self-fertile, so does not need a pollination partner, but it will produce an even bigger crop if there is another chestnut planted nearby.
- Garden care: Remove crossing or wayward branches when dormant in late winter or early spring. When roasting the nuts, make sure you prick them first to stop them exploding.
There are currently no articles for this item.