Cercis canadensis 'Hearts of Gold (PBR)'
- Position: full sun
- Soil: moist, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: slow-growing
- Flowering period: March to April
- Flower colour: lavender-pink
- Other features: stunning bright-yellow foliage
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Lavender-pink, pea-like flowers form along the bare stems of this wonderful new tree in spring, just before the foliage emerges. The growing tips of this new foliage is flushed with pinkish-orange, but as the leaves mature they become yellow, and later still, greenish. A colourful tree, which will not get too large, it will be happiest in a warm, south-facing spot.
- Garden care: Plant in their final location when young as they resent being transplanted. Requires minimal pruning. Remove any broken, diseased or crossing branches in late autumn or winter. When planting incorporate lots of well-rotted garden compost in the planting hole and stake firmly.
Prevention is better than cure with diseases in the garden so keep your plants growing as strongly as possible – allowing them to fight off infections naturally. A weak plant is much more likely to fall prey than a good,...Read full article