Canna Tropicanna Black ('Lon01') (PBR)
Indian shot bulbs
20% off plants
- Bulb orders £2.99
- Click & collect FREE
- Position: full sun (or indoors in full light shaded from hot sun)
- Soil: fertile, well-drained soil or loam-less potting compost
- Flowering period: June to September
- Flower colour: red
- Other features: large, dark purple leaves
- Hardiness: half hardy (will need winter protection)
Broad, near-black foliage, which is suffused with traces of plum and red, is topped with heads of dazzling scarlet flowers that fade to orange as they age. A fine addition to summer bedding schemes, where it will create stature and drama.
- Garden care: Pot the rhizomes up into 20cm pots filled with a good quality compost. The rhizomes should be planted shallowly, just covering them with compost, but making sure that any new shoots are above soil level. Water lightly and then grow them on at temperatures above 10°C, increasing the water as they start to grow. Gradually harden off before planting out after all risk of frost has passed. Water regularly during the growing season, applying a phosphorus-rich liquid fertiliser each month. In frost-prone areas lift the rhizomes in autumn and store in a frost-free environment in barely-moist compost or leaf mould.