Buddleja × weyriana 'Sungold'
- Position: full sun
- Soil: fertile, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: fast growing
- Flowering period: July to September
- Flower colour: golden yellow
- Other features: very attractive to butterflies and bees
- Hardiness: fully hardy
- Garden care: Prune back hard in March, removing all of the previous year's growth to three or four buds.
This easy to grow shrub will reward you with a spectacular show throughout the summer, when its clusters of golden yellow flowers appear at the ends of the long, arching branches. The flowers have a deliciously sweet scent, so try to plant it near an entranceway or seating area where you can take full advantage. It is tolerant of most conditions, but will be happiest in a sunny spot with soil that drains freely.
Many gardeners who are happy, even gung-ho, with the secateurs when pruning shrubs and climbers are surprisingly reluctant to take the shears to herbaceous perennials. Maybe this is because it just doesn't seem quite right to be cutting back all that newRead full article