- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, moist, preferably humus-rich soil
- Rate of Growth: average to fast
- Flowering period:June to August
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Pretty, pale pink pincushion flowers suffused with green and with a white ruff appear from June to August above deeply lobed, dark green leaves. This astrantia has larger flowers than many cultivars. Although it is an old cottage-garden favourite, it works equally well in contemporary-style plantings. Use towards the front of a sunny, yet moist border, or at a woodland edge.
- Garden care: Astrantias do not like to to dry out. Incorporate plenty of organic matter when planting and water well in dry weather especially newly established plants. Lift and divide large clumps in early spring and apply a generous 5-7 cm mulch of well-rotted manure or garden compost around the plant. Divided specimens may take some time to establish since they don't like having their roots disturbed.
The traditional cottage garden was an intensive, yet carefree mixture of fruit, vegetables, herbs and flowers all crowded into a tiny space. Today, this informal charm can be recreated using modern varieties that largely take care of themselves around anRead full article
Gardening by the coast offers specific challenges and opportunities. You can take advantage of the mild climate to grow not-so-hardy plants with confidence, but will have to choose them carefully to ensure they can cope with the buffeting winds and salt-Read full article
Indulge a passion for ornamental grasses by creating a prairie- or meadow-style garden. They can be richly planted with native wildflowers or a selection of complementary perennials and self-seeding annuals to create a naturalistic planting effect.Read full article
Many gardeners who are happy, even gung-ho, with the secateurs when pruning shrubs and climbers are surprisingly reluctant to take the shears to herbaceous perennials. Maybe this is because it just doesn't seem quite right to be cutting back all that newRead full article