Alstroemeria (Planet Series) 'Sirius'
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, moist, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: slow growing to average
- Flowering period: June and July
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Soft pink flowers with a gold throat and brownish-red freckles, appear in profusion from early summer, creating an exotic feel to ther border. An easy to mix colour, it looks beautiful when planted in sizeable clumps, and as it makes such a good cut flower, it is worth planting more than you need.
- Garden care: Newly planted Alstroemerias should be given a very generous 20cm (8") deep mulch of chipped bark in their first winter to help the plants become established. In subsequent autumns, provide a dry mulch of bracken or bark chippings will help protect the crowns. After flowering cut back the faded flower-stems, but make sure you always wear gloves when working with Peruvian lilies, as contact with the foliage may cause skin irritation.
- May cause skin allergy
Reviewed by 1 customer
Displaying review 1
- Accurate Instructions
Comments about Alstroemeria (Planet Series) 'Sirius':
Did a special area for them. Look very nice. Good cut flower. Need staking. I don't know yet if they are hardy. Get different advice from various gardening magazines
- Your Gardening Experience:
- Keen but clueless
At some stage in June, your garden will be a glorious affair full of scent and soft flower. Placing a posy from the garden, close to a family hub like the kitchen table, unites your home and garden as effectively as having a huge picture window. You don’tRead full article