Agapanthus 'Lavender Haze'
- Position: full sun
- Soil: fertile, moist, well-drained soil (or John Innes no. 3 compost for containers)
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: July to August
- Flower colour: lavender
- Other features: excellent as cut flowers
- Hardiness: half hardy (will need winter protection)
The stiff flower stems are held above dark green, strap-like leaves that form attractive clumps. The flowers can grow up to 30cm in diameter when established and are a lovely lavender-blue colour. This African lily is invaluable for providing late summer interest in a sunny, well-drained border or large patio pot. Where temperatures fall below zero, container grown specimens should be overwintered in a frost free place.
- Garden care: Apply a balanced liquid fertiliser monthly from spring until flowering. Divide congested plants in spring, but be aware that they may not flower again the next summer.
Mediterranean gardens can take on various guises from the rustic and rambling to the formal elegance of an Italian courtyard. However, they all have key features in common, including the use of exotic, sometimes tender, drought-tolerant plants in pots and...Read full article