Acer palmatum (Palmatum Group) 'Katsura'
- Position: full sun (but not south-facing)
- Soil: fertile, moist, well-drained neutral to acid soil
- Rate of growth:slow-growing
- Flowering period: April to May
- Hardiness: fully hardy
When they first appear in spring, the lobed leaves are a bright orange, but they quickly turn to an orange-flushed yellow with a pink margin. As the spring progresses the colour deepens to a rich green, but then in autumn the whole leaf changes colour again, taking on a bright orange hue before they drop. A magnificent small tree or large shrub for a smaller garden where you want colour an interest for the better part of the year.
- Garden care: Add a top-dressing of a well-balanced fertiliser around the base of a recently planted tree in late spring and keep it well watered. No routine pruning is required, just remove any dead, damaged or crossing branches in late autumn or winter when they are fully dormant.
There are currently no articles for this item.