Acer palmatum 'Orange Dream'
- Position: partial shade
- Soil: fertile, moist, well-drained neutral to acid soil
- Rate of growth: slow-growing
- Flowering period: April to May
- Flower colour: purple-red
- Other features: yellow leaves in the autumn
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Masses of tiny, red, spring flowers contrasting beautifully against beautiful orange-green leaves, turning more green through the summer, and orange- yellow in the autumn before dropping. This bushy, spreading Japanese maple is an ideal specimen tree for a small garden or perfect for a large container, its elegant, open shape looks especially good silhouetted next to buildings.
- Garden care: Add a top dressing of a multi-purpose fertiliser around the base of the plant in late spring. No routine pruning is required.
Come autumn the flowers may be fading away, eclipsed by shorter and cooler days, but there’s still plenty of foliage whether on the ground, or held aloft against a sinking sun. Touches of lipstick-red, sombre-burgundy, orange-peel and mustard-seed glow inRead full article