Acer palmatum 'Marlo' (PBR)
- Position: partial shade
- Soil: fertile, moist, well-drained neutral to acid soil
- Rate of growth: slow-growing
- Flowering period: April to May
- Flower colour: purple-red
- Other features: red winged fruit in late summer
- Hardiness: fully hardy
The deeply lobed, green leaves of this new, colourful cultivar emerge with bright salmon-pink margins each spring. As the summer progresses, these leaf margins turn a creamy colour, before reverting back to pink again as autumn approaches. A compact, deciduous shrub, it works extremely well in a good-sized patio pot - provided it is kept well watered and protected from scorching sun and icy winds. It will also make a vibrant addition to the partially shaded shrub border.
- Garden care: Add a top dressing of a multi-purpose fertiliser around the base of the plant in late spring. No routine pruning is required, just remove any dead, damaged or crossing branches in late autumn or winter when they are fully dormant.
There are currently no articles for this item.